Your Kohler is a 45R, which is a 45kW inherently
regulated model.  No voltage regulator - the windings
are designed to do all the dirty work.  It does, in
fact, crank from a special winding within the
exciter,but in order to do this, it has to have a
series-parallel battery setup to provide adequate
current to the exciter cranking windings.

The Hercules (later known as White-Hercules) engine on
this model is built like a brick doghouse, and would
be comparable as far as reliability to a 617 diesel.
Hercules engines were used for many years in the
industrial field, as well as in Jeeps during WWII.

Despite having electric heat, that unit should have no
problem taking on your whole house as a load.

Why there would have been a bendix starter on it I
have no idea.  Since it was a GSA unit, there is a
remote possibility that it was added on as an option,
which would be noted by the option codes on the
nameplate.

Now all you need is an automatic transfer switch...

Dan (former Kohler guy)

--- Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, so I bought it today.  $390.  (Picked up a big
> swamp
> cooler too, $230.)  I made a web page for it:
>
> http://userweb.windwireless.net/~jimc/genset3.html
>
> I won't be able to do much with it for awhile.  But
> you
> get while the getting is good.  If you want to save
> money.
>
> -- Jim

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.