In a message dated 9/15/2007 2:43:00 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Theres a  horrible shower stall in our basement that I'm working to take out.
Today I  decided to tackle removing the plumbing.
I bought some 1/2" copper end  caps, cut the pipe, sanded and all like I've
seen my Dad do a million times  but the DAMMED THING JUST WOULD NOT SWEAT.
I couldn't get it to take solder  for love or money...
Finally pulled the stub end out of the T it was in and  essentially swaged
the cap on. I got it WAY too hot (glowing) and just kept  pounding the solder
it. Its never coming off but will it leak?
I managed  to get it back into the T with a minimum of fuss but it sure
wouldn't take any  more solder. Hopefully what was there will hold. We'll
see...

Curt,

Did you use flux paste of any type?  Most plumbing solders do not have  flux
in them.  The lead free plumbing solders are a little harder to run  but
sounds like you had plenty of heat.  Make sure there is no water within  3
inches
of the joint, suck it out with a straw or siphon with a small hose.

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles
98 ML 320, 151 K  miles