I pulled the other end off the generator's housing, which required
removing a lot of bolts and both mufflers.  No, it's not bad rotating
diodes.  This is not a brushLESS generator!  It has brushes, and
when I put the Fluke on them and spun the motor over by hand the
resistance varied wildly, and was even open-circuit at times.  When I
pulled the brush pack they seemed a little short to me.  So, the
brushes are too short and/or worn out.  Maybe I'll try getting some at
the hardware store and try to install them.

With the end panel removed it was also obvious that the battery is
installed wrong way around.  The retention strap is not centered, and
is wanting to pull into the terminals.  I'll try turning it around so
the terminals are on the opposite side as the retention strap, but if
I recall correctly the positive cable is a bit short to reach.  We'll
see.

When I tried the service phone number it was busy.  Figures.

-- Jim