----- Original Message -----
From: "Mitch Haley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> archer wrote:
>>  All suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> I bought a Sunbeam 5000 BTU unit for $80 at Circuit City this year.
> I just checked, and it seems that all they have now are portable units
> for $300+. Is the EER on your existing unit at least 9?
___________________________________

It is.  It was top-rated at Consumers Reports when I bought it.  There are
plenty of window units available locally at 10.xx EER and at cheap prices,
but I'd rather fix this one and rig it with a remote thermostat if it's
fixable.  All the new ones use complex PC boards with handheld wireless
controllers.  When I go in the shop and turn on the main power switches, the
new type Sharp A/C in the other side of the shop has to be turned on with
the remote and now it has to be turned on manually because the remote went
bad and Sharp wants $50! for a new one!

One thing I've been curious about is the kind of compressors these newer
A/Cs have.  They are long, narrow compressors; much smaller than the old
type.  I would guess they would be "rotary screw" compressors on the order
of the large ones in big commercial installations.  The Sharp makes a very
steady "tone" comparable to the large commercial compressors steady "roar".
Gerry