> The fan motor has three leads so I suspected it is a typical
> three speed motor setup

Probably two speeds with only three leads.  Such motors don't
need capacitors for starting or running as they don't start
under load.  My understanding is that they're usually just
shaded-pole motors, but those aren't as efficient.  It's
possible that the efficiency drive has even gotten to the
blower motor too.

> The compressor also has three leads and a (common?) lead comes in
> through a separate thermal switch .
>
> The part I find confusing is a big capacitor which has three leads and
> rating of both 7.5 mfd and 35 mfd.

Sounds like the compressor is cap-start and cap-run.  You should be
able to trace the circuitry enough to figure out where this (important)
capacitor goes.  The rest of the electronics is just crap and can
be replaced by a switch or two, as you surmise.

> ... they may require some sort of hookups with the capacitor.

They do.  But just trace the wiring, you'll get close enough.
The command and control stuff is small and fiddly, but the big
power paths are usually still easy to map out.

> One thing I've been curious about is the kind of compressors these
> newer
> A/Cs have.  They are long, narrow compressors; much smaller than the
> old
> type.  I would guess they would be "rotary screw" compressors on the
> order
> of the large ones in big commercial installations.  The Sharp makes a
> very
> steady "tone" comparable to the large commercial compressors steady
> "roar".

Scroll/roll type?

-- Jim