> circuit.  The motor turns freely but it smells so much like burnt
> wiring, I
> doubt it will run very long if at all.

Burnt smelling is bad news, usually.

> Think I'll junk this A/C and get a
> new one since the dual 7.5-35 mfd capacitors are scarce and pretty
> expensive
> on the internet.

I don't believe there is anything electrically interesting about
your dual cap, I think it was just two caps in one package, a
money-saving measure.  You could replace them with separate
units, if you could find the room for both.

> Would like to use the compressor (with a 35 mfd cap?) as a vacuum pump
> if
> it's still good.  I would guess that the capacitor would be wired
> between
> two of the three terminals on the compressor, or would I be wrong?

Most refrigeration compressors make poor vacuum pumps
because they don't get lubricated.  Yorks are an exception
because they have a traditional crankcase full of oil.

Home AC units are also cooled by the refrigerant flow.
With no flow, she's a-gonna get hot!  I don't recommend
what you're doing, except as an experiment.

-- Jim