Two stroke in general never really took off in the car segment.
The disadvantage of 2 stroke Diesels is that they need a supercharger to
make em work. Why design a complicated 2 stroke engine when it is far
easier to build a four stroke.
Petrol two strokes don't need a supercharger and are relatively light,
which makes them ideal for applications where horsepower is needed but a
heavy engine isn't. Such as chainsaws, motorcycles (particularly off
road ones) and a variety of other special things.
Perhaps with the introduction of CDI technology we may see a two stroke
Diesel in cars, or even small Diesel motors in general.