I pulled the 'two-piece' regulator out.  Not two pieces at all, the
units are entirely separate.  The regulator connects _only_ to
the two excitation windings and the field.  It's potted in a black
plastic shell, and the potting is cracked.  Three power transistors
protrude, two of them heat-sinked together, as does a large 250V
470 uF electrolytic capacitor.  A smaller electrolytic lies just
below the surface of the potting.  A trim potentiometer also
protrudes.  Molded into the back of the shell is "GTDK", and the
month/year clock codes of 11/9.  (Which could also be interpreted as
5/4, or any combination thereof since the M and Y letters aren't very
good arrows.)  Stamped on the back is "AVR7-1E3A 06 07".  The entire
unit is curved like it was supposed to fit into a generator housing.

The other unit hooks to the front panel and has a current transformer
looped around the main output that it connects to.  Constructed like
the regulator, it has GTDK date codes of 7/06, or perhaps 1/01.
Stamped on the side is "BI-1 06.07", or perhaps "B1-1".  Protruding
through the potting is a relay, an LED, and a trim pot.  Two small
electrolytics lie just below the surface of the potting.  This looks
to be an overload shutdown or something like that.  The potting had
pulled away from the shell, the block was easily removed.  The back
(PCB) side was crazed, this potting material looks brittle enough that
it may be possible to remove it easily.  Cold (dry ice?) may be of
great help.

I pulled the regulator out of the shell, but I was too energetic and
managed to crack the shell.  (No great loss.)  There were voids in the
potting, part of the PCB was exposed.  There was a great deal of
granular white plastic material mixed in the black potting at the
'bottom', I don't know if this is un-melted pot material or a
component thereof, or what.  But this potting looks very brittle, I
may be able to expose the circuitry with some care.

-- Jim