I find it easier to use axle stands than lump bits of concrete around
but each to their own. i have heard about people using old batteries to
support cars and a multitude of other horror stories. The Darwin awards
are a good source for DIY idiots no longer with us.
Talking about axle stands, I bought a engine removal kit (crane, leveler
and stand) the other day and got a set of 3 ton stands chucked in on the
deal.