My dad, a retired physicist with an obsessive streak when it comes to
researching equipment, has a Garmin Nuvi. Loves it, but he's a
gadgeteer who loves to program stuff.

I looked into them, and concluded that the time it takes to program
them to tell you where to go and the distraction factor of having
something else on the dash wasn't worth it to me. I mapquest my trips
and print out the directions, which works well for me, takes almost
no time, and costs nothing. Of course, if you hit construction
detours, you're screwed either way, but I always have an atlas for
backup. Now, for backcountry hiking or real wilderness travel, you'd
be foolish not to have GPS, but for making your way in Rand McNally
land, I can do without it. ANother great source of old fashioned nav
aids are DeLorme state atlases. Pretty unneccessary for a place like
Iowa, where you can just give someone a compass direction followed by
a distance in miles, then a nother compass direction and mile figure,
etc., but for places like Maine, where i grew up and still visit,
they're damn near essential if you want to find anything off the
beaten path. Those logging roads seldom have road signs....

Dan