Regarding fitting kin pin bushings, I earlier said "nuf sed"

I lied.

It is a misconception to think that king pin fit in bushings is
critical.  It does need to be right, but it is not in the class
with piston fit in cylinders or bearing shell fit in big ends of
connecting rods.  It is much more tolerant than those critical
'fits.

I now recall that 1949-54 Chevrolet passenger cars have
king pin bushings that are full floating in the spindle and full
floating on the pin.  No press in fit for bushings, no ream or
hone to fit on pins. Just slip them in.  Takes minutes.

And they, too, will last forever if the owner will keep them
greased.

Manufacturers, in my experience, specify a fixed reamer, that
is, a non adjustable reamer, for king pin (also called spindle bolt)
bushing sizing.  Ford for an outstanding example. Ford used the
same fixed king pin reamer beginning with 1928 Model A cars
until the last 1953 Ford passenger cars with king pins.  Ball joints
came in 1954 on Fords, except that pickups kept king pins for
many years in the Twin I Beam front end.

An adjustable reamer is an old time  mechanic's tool for opening
up bushings that won't accept the pin unless reamed a bit larger.
They are not intended for reaming to a precise size, and can't be
set to cut a precise size.

To set one to a particular size fairly close would require a ground
ring gauge and lots of time spent setting.  The way they are used
is to ream and try.  Reset. Ream and try again. Once the pin fits
the way you want it, stop.

You can fit king pin bushings this way, simply because the fit is
not critical, but it is not a very good way. It is better than some
makeshift alternatives I can conceive.

Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:50:49 -0500
 "Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote
Subject: Re: [MBZ] King pin installation

Fit is critical. Too tight and it will gall. Too loose and you will have
too much play and excelerated wear.

Thanks, Tom
256-656-1924

"Robert Bigham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
Re: [MBZ] King pin installation

 And the fit is not critical, although there are specifications.

A nice oiled slip fit or no tighter than a light thumb push fit
is what you need.