Thank you for the information; it is more than interesting.

The quoted language leaves room for other understandings:

I see nothing that says reamer 000 589 03 53 is an
adjustable reamer, but merely language saying to use it
"or a suitable commercially available, adjustable reamer
with guide bushing," in other words, either use the Benz
tool or an adjustable reamer of the generally available
commercial pattern.

I see nothing that says that a multi-step ream, trial assemby,
ream again, procedure is required or needed.  Let us all
recall that Eli Whitney developed the concept of
interchangeable parts about 200 yr ago, and that industrial
production has not used trial assembly and iterative
resizing as a routine method since then.  Things are
manufactured to size, which includes some tolerance. If
sizing is critical and must be more accurate than can be
manufactured readily, parts are sorted after manufacture to
tighten the tolerance on accepted parts.

Clearance (same meaning as radial play) 0.3 - 0.5 mm, wear limit
0.8 mm.  Auf Englisch, 1 mm = 0.039 in., clearance 0.012 in. -
0.020 in, wear limit 0.032.in. unless I busted the conversion
pretty badly.

That is hardly a close fit.  It is just a bit more precise than scale
accuracy, that is, measurements that can be made well enough
with a steel pocket rule, which is accurate to at least 1/64 in.
or 0.016 in.  .

A nice oiled slip fit, which is what I said in the first instance,
will be plenty good, and automobile king pins work fine with
either no or tiny visible play as shown by rocking.  Either
clearance will endure indefinitely if kept greased.

If one insists on actual measurements, caliper the pin, caliper
the hole.  Use nice modern digital calipers for easy results.
Use Starrett Yankee spring calipers if you wish, and check the
difference between inside and outside calipers with a feeler
gauge or micrometer the inside and outside calipers.

King pin bushings are one of the simplest auto machine shop
jobs. There is no sense in trying to make them a federal case.

 Tom Hargrave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> Date: 10/12/2007 9:11:06 AM
> Subject: RE: [MBZ] King pin installation
>
> From the Series 108, 109, 111, 113 service manual, Section 33-3/3.17:
>
> "Ream bearing bushings by means of reamer 000 589 03 53 or a suitable
> commercially available, adjustable reamer with guide bushing until the
> specified radial play of the kingpin has been attained (for dimensions
refer
> to Job No. 33-0)."
>
> Job No. 33-0 lists:
> ---------------------------------
> Radial play = 0.3 - 0.5
> Perm. Wear limit = 0.8
>
> And the measurement includes the total kingpin + threaded bolt mounting on
> steering knuckle top and bottom. In other words, the actual king pin
radial
> play is even less because the bolt threads have some play so that they can
> receive lubricant.
>
> To do this "by the book", you have to ream, assemble, measure,
disassemble,
> ream a little more, reassemble, etc, etc. I'm sure that machine shops
> shortcut the process by measuring the kingpin with a micrometer, choosing
> the appropriate reamer, reaming and then trial assembling to make sure
it's
> not too tight by feel. I'm just as sure that they don't verify it's not
too
> loose.
>

> Thanks,
> Tom Hargrave
> www.kegkits.com
> 256-656-1924

 Robert Bigham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
 Friday, October 12, 2007 4:29 AM