On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:38:01 -0500 "Wonko the Sane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Which reminds me -- did you fix that ignition thang (not a typo) of
> which you sent me photos?

No, I haven't fixed it yet because I haven't had a chance to call Rusty to
order a new steering column lock assembly (to the tune of $156, which is
better than a car payment, I keep telling myself). But with typing,
"thang," you're making yourself sound like a Texan. Heard that a lot
there.

> I laughed when I saw them, because I sold Debbie's Pontiac 6000 as a
> "screwdriver start" car to a teenager -- he thought it was cool. The
> ignition switch failed w/ a key but worked great w/ screwdriver.

In this case, a screwdriver would not have helped, because the failure was
behind the steering column lock mechanism. Pulling the lock cylinder only
gets you to the front of the column lock mechanism.

I am most thankful that it worked enough for us to get home. I could have
jimmyed things enough to get us home if I had had to, but working on it
out in the wind (and a week ago it was rather windy in southern Colorado
and northern New Mexico) would have been no fun. As I mentioned, there
were three or for times I left Shirley and Ori in the car with the engine
running so I wouldn't have to chance not getting it started if I turned it
off.

Craig