Some of your resolutions are wrong.
720 is 1280x720 (I think I mistyped in a previous post and put 1080x720,
definately not 1920 though)
NTSC 601 which is the proper viewing standard is 720x486, back in the day
everybody used 640x480 because it was easier but AFAIK nobody's made
professional equipment to do that in 7 years or more.

16mm film doesn't really have a resolution, its analog after all. For that
matter NTSC doesn't really have a width resolution though it does properly have
horizontal 486 lines but its interlaced so you only ever see 243 at any given
moment.

Sony doesn't actually make any TV screens that I know of. Sony's LCD screens
are all made by Samsung though Sony makes the control circuitry. Samsung's
screens have better contrast ratios though, go figure that one out. Oh Sony
costs more too.

As you said most TV stations are not yet HD but everyday we're working with
them to setup more HD hardware. AFAIK everything that NBC corporate puts out is
available in HD, I haven't been to ABC or CBS to see. Discovery is also working
almost exclusively (except for website only stuff) in HD, I had guys from
Discovery in class last week.

HD is just around the corner, I wouldn't even consider buying an SD set now
unless it was a real cheapo to have in the garage or basement.

-Curt