On 10/25/07, Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I await the answer on this one with much anticipation. My 190D also has
> gotten quite
>squirrely in recent months.

Well, after a week's driving after the alignment, I'm pretty confident
that it's fixed.  (Recap: my 124 was hopping sideways in the back over
bumps, but I had ruled out the rear links, subframe mounts, and diff
mounts).  So it was the rear toe-in that caused the problem.

Curt, since your car is squirrely all the time, I'd be more likely to
suspect any and all parts in the rear end that haven't been changed in
the last 100,000 miles or so.  In my experience the bushings can pass
the pry-bar test and still be bad.  If any part of the suspension is
not performing 100% up to spec, an alignment doesn't mean much, since
the worn parts may allow all sorts of improper wheel movement relative
to the body.    The 201/124 multi-link rear suspension, I think, is a
joy and a terrific safety feature when it's working right---it gives
great traction in all road conditions, and manageably progressive loss
of same at the limit---but when it's defective, it's a lot harder to
diagnose than many people (including a lot of mechanics!) seem to
think.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.

Alex Chamberlain