Hi,
  I am new and since June of '07 I am sorting out my 1981 300sd with various
issues,
  one being the trans.
  Hot outside temps made  reverse was slow,up to 3 seconds, and now cooler
temps (40-50F) and no delay cold and 1 second hot off the highway at 85c on the
dash.
  Fresh fluid (Dex 3 Cam2) and filter. A fresh new style B2 piston (used)
installed.
  No leaks,all Vacuum corrected, with 120k miles.
Shifts are firm and properly firm when the throttle is lifted to force shift.
  1-2 at 4000, 2-3 4000, 3-4 4800, 20-23 mpg driven med-hard by 3 drivers city
and expressway currently 50-50 wvo-k1 mix.
  I changed the exhaust to a pipe and proper single muffler. (nice sound)
  Ed in Chicago
Allan Streib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  "Zoltan Finks" writes:

> I have heard this mentioned before - that if the auto transmission
> takes too long to engage Reverse, it is in indicator of a problem.
>
> Are we talking about a delay when shifting from Park to Reverse? Or
> a delay when shifting from Drive to Reverse?

I think either one. In my car (the '83 300D) there is a delay of
about a second when shifting to reverse from either park or drive. I
always assumed it was by design to let the gears stop turning one way
before they start turning the other -- a bit of "forced" neutral.

> And can the delay be expected to be longer if the tranny is cold, or
> if it hasn't yet been run through all the gears that day?

I've noticed a bit more delay on really cold days, but not
significantly so. Mobil 1 ATF helps.

> Also, one unnerving thing with it is that when you shift to Park,
> you can expect it to roll unusually far before actually being
> stopped by the transmission. So much so that I find myself stepping
> on the brake to catch it, as it feels for half a second that it is
> going to roll away. Familiar to anyone?

Mine does that -- I always use the parking brake to keep stress off
the transmission.

Allan
--
1983 300D