For this reason, i prefer to cut/grind/tear off the old hose
ferrules, and take off the old hose, leaving the fitting in
place.  (Yes, it is a little messy)  Then get a length of bulk hose
at the FLAPS and 4 hose clamps, cut the hose to length, and clamp it
on.  Refill the trans fluid and go.

At 08:24 PM 11/7/2007, you wrote:
>At 02:14 PM 11/7/2007, Chris wrote:
> >will be installing a new set of ATF cooler hoses this weekend. Do
> >the threads need to be treated in any way? tape? threadlocker?
>
>       I wish you luck but when I tried fooling with these hoses on my
>83 SD it turned out to be a major PIA.  It looked like the aluminum
>of the cooler had reacted chemically with the steel of the hose
>fitting and eroded the area that makes the seal.  Aluminum also was
>fused in the threads of the hose coupling.  The lower fitting was the
>problem, I guess because it got more salt spray there.  I tried
>truing up the sealing surfaces with various tools.  Also tried tape
>on the threads.  It always started leaking again after a week or
>two.  The local expert advised against welding another fitting on the
>aluminum cooler - he was afraid it might not hold and dump all the
>oil before the driver could react and save the engine.  He had
>examples.  I tried a salvage yard cooler, it leaked the same way.  So
>I eventually slathered it up with J-B Weld (being careful not to get
>any where it would get into the oil stream) and reassembled it.  It
>has held now for several years.
>
>       Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV
>
>       Liberalism is virtue at its most charming point of relaxation.

Loren Faeth