At 02:14 PM 11/7/2007, Chris wrote:
>will be installing a new set of ATF cooler hoses this weekend. Do
>the threads need to be treated in any way? tape? threadlocker?

      I wish you luck but when I tried fooling with these hoses on my
83 SD it turned out to be a major PIA.  It looked like the aluminum
of the cooler had reacted chemically with the steel of the hose
fitting and eroded the area that makes the seal.  Aluminum also was
fused in the threads of the hose coupling.  The lower fitting was the
problem, I guess because it got more salt spray there.  I tried
truing up the sealing surfaces with various tools.  Also tried tape
on the threads.  It always started leaking again after a week or
two.  The local expert advised against welding another fitting on the
aluminum cooler - he was afraid it might not hold and dump all the
oil before the driver could react and save the engine.  He had
examples.  I tried a salvage yard cooler, it leaked the same way.  So
I eventually slathered it up with J-B Weld (being careful not to get
any where it would get into the oil stream) and reassembled it.  It
has held now for several years.

      Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

      Liberalism is virtue at its most charming point of relaxation.