Hi,
  Dielectric Grease IS silicone!
  I coat the rubber seal to water proof and during installtion! Campers tent
spray at Wal-Mart is a cheaper substitute.

  Ed in Chicago

LarryT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I had a similar problem with an opening rear quarter window w'strip - worked
on it for hours as you mentioned with the same results. Then I had a
windshield replaced in another car - talked to the technician - he took the
problem parts and within 5 minutes had it together! I looked at the can of
silicon he was using - it was a 3M product labelled Silicon Spray - he said
there's silicone and then there's *Silicone* - he said WD40 is not pure
enough - as is most other sprays. He gave me the can he was using and it
lasted a long time.

You can also use an oyster knife to work the w'strip into place - the blade
is dull so it will not cut the rubber if used with care.

I suggest you take the frame, glass and w'strip to a glass shop and ask if
they will fix it for you - or perhaps they will give or sell a can of spray
silicone.

Good luck -

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS! youroil.net
.