Kaleb C. Striplin, work wrote:
> Whats the other one with the engine running?  I have not looked at/paid
> attention to the tools used on the 60x engines too much.

There is a little tong on a flywheel internal to the IP.  There is a
little port on the side of the IP and when the tong is in the center of
that port the engine should be at 15 ATDC.  The tong can be centered by
the RIV tool, which has two "feelers" that go on either side of the
tong.  There are two LEDs on the tool... when one is lit up you need to
advance, when another is lit up you need to retard, when both are lit up
the engine is timed correctly.  Hope that made sense... my terminology
is horrible.

The dynamic tool puts a sensor in that port instead of the "feelers"
(similar to an ABS sensor).  You also have to hook up the tach signal,
etc.  This not only checks the basic timing, but can check the timing
advance device (since you can change the RPMs etc).  I've never actually
seen one of these tools except in the MB manual.

John