On Nov 20, 2007 3:37 PM, Tom Hargrave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually, inside the cab was the safest place for the tank because it's in
> the center of the vehicle where it is less likely to get ruptured.

I see your point, but it seems to me the advantage of the tank being
in the center of the vehicle is far outweighed by the drawback of only
having one thin layer of sheet metal between the gasoline and fragile
humans.

> By the way, isn't your Mercedes fuel tank right behind the back seat????

Sure, but in that case it's isolated from the passenger compartment by
the seatback and a second wall of steel, IIRC, greatly reducing the
chance that inflammable vapors would occupy the same space as humans
during a crash.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo et al.