Mercedes started working on airbags in the early 60s, too (tested in
the W108s).  Detail work kept them from being installed in cars for
quite a while -- something about killing the passengers with the air
bags and blowing the windows out....

Airbags are great.  Only good for one shot, though, and no replacement
for seat belts in any situation -- my belt kept me safely in my seat
(although my head seems to have barked the roof, I got a nice rug burn
in my big bald spot!).

American manufacturers were busy spending huge piles of money lobbying
Congress to stop legistation for safety features, not making safer
cars, that lasted up to the mid 70's.  Doesn't cost a cent more to
manufacture a fairly safe car than a hunk of junk.

Peter