My trusty 240D has set idly since about March or so when I was
planning to try again to get the blasted "81 only" auto trans to
shift right.  I put the battery charger on for a while, turned the
key, it glowed and took off on the first cyl to hit the power
stroke.  It makes me remember why I love the cast iron 4 cyl engines
so much.  Look, it has a real radiator! (even if the tanks are
plastic)  No fancy electronics.  With its new rear suspension and new
Bilsteins all around, it rides and drives nice.  If it just had a
real 5 speed in place of the stupid auto, and if it only had a
turbo....  It would really be the little engine that could.  I never
could understand why they put a turbo on the 617 but not the 616,
which really could benefit form the boost.  (literally and figuratively)

Loren Faeth
80 240D 4 spd, waiting for an engine
81 240D, stinkin auto, great engine
66 200D 2.4, now there is a great car