My favorites out of the list are Gepard,
Strassendime  especially since my first MB, (62
190Dc) was der (das?) Strassenlaunfer  (never
could quite figger out how to spell it.  It was
supposed to be translation of roadrunner.  Seems
appropriate since it went through a charity
auction and 3 dealers before I ended up with it.
Panzerwels
Rotluchs
and why didn't I think of the obvious, Panzer?

I already call the dumb cat, teeger (Tiger),
katze or just Dumb Cat so all those are out.

What is the correct pronunciation of
these?  Strassendeemuh?  Sounds kindalike
Strassenbeemer  Could confuse Beemer types from the East.
GePARD?
Panzervells?
Rotlukes?

At 11:02 PM 11/25/2007, you wrote:
>On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 22:10:25 -0600 Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
> > I should name if for some kind of male cat.  WHat is German for lion,
> > tiger etc?  Oh, Tiger is Teeger, too much like a  cartoon character.
>
>Actually, though pronounced like Teeger, it's spelled Tiger.
>
>Lion is Löwe as in Löwenbräu. If you don't use an umlaut, its Loewe.
>
>Leopard in German is Leopard.
>
>Cheetah in German is Gepard.
>
>Jaguar in German is Jaguar.
>
>Cat in German is Katze (pronounced KAH-tsuh).
>
>Alley cat in German is Strassendirne.
>
>Cory (cat) in German is Panzerwels (Coridoradinae - zoological)
>
>Bobcat in German is Rotluchs.
>

>That's all I can think of now to feed into
>http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/dings.cgi?lang=en&service=en-de&opterrors=0&optpro=0&query=bobcat&iservice=&dlink=self&comment=
>

>Craig

Loren Faeth