use a 12mm ratcheting box-end wrench to make access easier - hard to get to
with sockets.  Thread the new ones in by hand - last thing you want to do is
cross-thread the holes.    Some people put a little oil on the threads, some
don't - I think the torque ratings for the plugs are for dry threads.

If there's a lot of carbon in the holes, you'll probably want to ream out
the excess carbon before putting in new plugs.

And don't lose the nuts holding the electrical wires on the plugs - they're
a bear to relocate once they fall off into the engine bay.

On Nov 27, 2007 10:55 PM, Chris Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Today I went outside with my newly liberated meter, and found that 3 of my
> 5
> glow plugs seem to be bad.  My glow plug light stopped working a little
> while back, and I have not been able to check that out until now.  I
> measured the impedance of each one at the relay.  So, I'm figuring that I
> should just change them all.  The relay seemed ok, as much as I could
> check
> it out today.
> So my question is, is there anything funky about replacing them?  Spark
> plugs are no problem, unless they are in a Toyota Previa (In which case
> you
> have to take out the passenger seat, and open the floor of the van to get
> them).  Its in an 82 300SD, so a 617.  All five of them seem like they
> should be fairly easy to get to.  The 5th one looks like the trickiest,
> just
> because of the oil filter housing, but there should be plenty of space.
>  Are
> there any special tools that are needed to replace them?  Do I just
> diconnect the wires, and get the appropriate sized wrench and start
> removing
> them, and then reverse the operation to install the new ones?
> Thanks,
> Chris

Sunil Hari
[EMAIL PROTECTED]