> Tony,
>
> Marshall (MHRIP) would have told you to not assume the transmission is bad
> until you have the engine performing as designed.  The power produced by  the
> engine will affect the position of the throttle, hence the shifting firmness
> and also the shift timing.
>
> Some time in the 90s, it became a no-no to tamper with the EGR on the turbo
> diesels as the computer would know, and lock out the boost, or fuel,  somehow.
>  Basically go into non boosted configuration.
> You should pin that down!
>
> Did you change all the fuel filters?  Also try driving without the  fuel
> filler cap on the tank, in case it is not venting properly.
>
> I have a very nice Garrett from an 87 603 engine, but it is marked TBO  359.
> Photos available.  $275, no core required.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim  Friesen
> Phoenix AZ
> 79 300SD, 264 K miles
> 98 ML 320, 152 K  miles

Jim,

I've been playing with this car for about a week here and there, and
ya know after being on this and the R/E list for some time now I've
caught myself thinking a bunch of times "don't assume; think it
through- what would Marshall say here with what I have (or DON'T have)
in front of me?"

Last weekend when I was playing with this the thought came to mind
that Marshall would know what to do here, and I instinctively thought
to post and ask.  But since we haven't heard much, I assumed that he
was dealing with something more important with some sense that it
wasn't good.  But we have his example of being a teacher, of
methodically assessing and evaluating a problem to a logical
conclusion, at least most of the time.  And we will still miss him.

Anyway, on the transmission: There can be 4-5 seconds delay to get to
reverse, and even then I've sensed a slight slip once.  When in drive
I don't get the slamming I think I should with the vacuum
disconnected- shifts are firmer, but probably not as firm as they
should be.  Also the info I have is that at 305k miles the
transmission has never been out of the car.

Tony Wirtel