"B. Until the DaimlerChrysler merger in 1993, Chrysler had never sold
their trucks with anyone else's engines except Cummins, unless you
count badge-engineered Mitsubishis like the D50 (Mighty Max) and
Raider (Montero)."

Actually...

the late 70's full size dodge pu's had a mitsubishi sourced 4.0l
inline 6 engine available.

used total loss oil cooling on the piston tops v. spraying from
underneath as is the comon parctice.

On 12/4/07, Alex Chamberlain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 2:39 PM, Smith, Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I believe that a poster on another list is mistaken but I thought that I
> > would check with
> >the experts first before I posted anything.  There has been a claim
> that the OM617 engine
> >was available as a special order by Dodge for the Dakota series of
> small pickup trucks in
> >the 85-86 timeframe.
>
> Nonsense.
>
> A. The Dakota didn't exist until 1990.  Remember what a big deal the
> ad campaign made about it being "the first midsize truck"?
>
> B. Until the DaimlerChrysler merger in 1993, Chrysler had never sold
> their trucks with anyone else's engines except Cummins, unless you
> count badge-engineered Mitsubishis like the D50 (Mighty Max) and
> Raider (Montero).
>
> Alex Chamberlain
> '87 300D Turbo et al.

Rory Morrison