It seems than at Wed, 12 Dec 2007 01:02:14 -0600, Loren wrote:

> Last night I was hoping to beat out the ice storm.  Came across a
> herd of deer on the road.  Deer in both lanes on my side of the
> road.

I can't help with the bumper. Sorry.

But regarding the deer, for the last 2 years I have adopted the
procedure to honk the horn as soon as I see a deer. Not just a
friendly "toot", but  lock the horn in the on position until
past the area.

While not a proper statistical study, my experience is that the
deer scatter at the sound of the horn. It seems even the
would-be straggles decide they should not cross the road.

Again, not proof, but in the deer infested woods of southern
Missouri, it seems to be working...

--             Philip