I installed a '63 Olds 215 turbo charged Aluminum block V8 in the MGA
with a BW 4 speed close ratio tranny that I robbed from a '58 Impala.
I did this instead of replacing the cracked heat on the MGA 1600
engine. It took a year of almost every weekend, and many nights.

I removed the body from the chassis, set it aside, and mounted the new
drive train. This included having the rear u-joint from the MG drive
shaft welded to a length of GM drive shaft, then getting it balanced,
making a custom bracket for the alternator, taking the solinoid off
the starter, and replacing it with a cable, lever, cable, relay, and
starter button contraption (the car was theft-proof), welding up
custom headers and exhaust system, getting a radiator from a Mack
truck cut down to fit the available body/chassis space, replacing the
worn out and non-functioning turbo/water injection system with a four
barrel Carter carb and manifold, welding up a VERY low profile air
cleaner housing, building an oil filter re-location plate, moving the
oil filter to a fender, and routing the oil through an MGB oil cooler,
replacing the front sway bar with one from an MGC, replacing the rear
gears with a differential from an MGB (3.90:1 instead of 4.30:1),
making the gauges work - except the tach, had to use an electronic
tach, and the speedo was way off.
Then I slowly (chain hoist) lowered the body onto the chassis, cutting
out the inner fenders as it went down. Built a custom tranny tunnel, a
bracket to mount the Hurst shifter four to six inches further back
(don't remember exactly now), and new linkage, built a new fan shroud,
and used a fiberglass fan, cut down to fit under the hood, built an
open frame front bumper to let more air to the lower radiator, removed
the hood latch for more radiator space, replacing it with racing lock
down pins, and probably more stuff that I've forgotten.
I did this in 1970, drove the car about 100,000 miles through 1979,
and sold it to some very adventurous soul.
It was a LOT of fun. I had the engine balanced, used a "3/4 racing"
cam, and surprised a LOT of vettes, Porches, Jags, etc. I built a
trailer hitch for it, and towed a 16' Scow sail boat around Oklahoma
with it. It felt like I was a semi-rig.
The cooling was marginal - fine until you came off the highway into
town, then it would hover around 220F - with the heater on full speed.
Lots of fun in the 100F summer.
The MG u-joint was the weak link in the drive train - I had to replace
it about every six months.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK