Been a while now but Dan Penoff used to have a '62 300SE, a fintail
with hydropneumatics.  As I recall, when I first saw it the car had
been sitting for quite a while and the suspension had leaked down.  It
pumped right up on starting though and held pretty well at shutoff.
Don't know if he ever addressed that but I suspect he knows a fair
amount about the system.  I encountered him fairly recently - over at
Rusty's forum, iirc; you might try there.  His ride was #44 on the
list at:
http://www.heckflosse.nl/photo.htm#87200

-j