> It is amazing how the culturalization of Christmas has
> separated it so much from the event that it was to celebrate.
> On the other hand 12/25 is not a very likely date for a number
> of reasons [not a time for shepherds to be in the fields,
> etc].  Probably the main reason we celebrate on 12/25 is that
> it was Saturnalia and people were going to celebrate anyway,
> so it made sense to put a Christian meaning on a popular
> festival.

Also was the birthday celebration of Mithras, the Roman god. And
all the winter solstice celebrations.

And what we think of as Christmas here in the US was largely the
result of Charles Dicken's  A Christmas Carol written in 1843. I
guess it's no surprise considering the dedication to history in
our fine country. *sign*

> I enjoy the celebration just the
> same. BillR Jacksonville FL

Then do! *smile*