From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Craig McCluskey
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:16 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Merry Christmas to all

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 12:05:03 -0600 "Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I used to work at Browns Ferry, a BWR Nuclear Power Plant.
>
> We used to have to wear TLD's, then we'd carry the instant read
> dosimeters whenever we had to work in a hot area. The TLD's were read &
> reset once a month & the total exposure recorded.

That sounds like what we do here.

> I used to laugh at some of the anal exposure controls. Take one airline
> flight from the East to West coast & back and you were exposed to more
> ionizing radiation then we were allowed to be exposed to for a year in
> the industry.

Indeed. And people freak out about radioactive materials, that their
radioactivity will last for thousands to hundreds of thousands of years.
With all the "green" emphasis on reducing electrical demand, however,
compact fluorescent lights are becoming ubiquitous and their disposal
requirements are largely ignored. The mecury they contain will NEVER
change to anything else and will continue to pollute everything, including
ocean fish, FOREVER.

> Neutrons are the worse because they are so heavy. Fortunately, they are
> stopped by your skin.

Alphas are the ones that are stopped by your skin, Neutrons, particularly
14 Mev fission neutrons, do penetrate. They can be moderated by
polyethylene and stopped (reflected) by concrete.

Craig

12:18 PM