First of all, run away screaming from anything marked BOSE..you are correct
for the most part Jabba.

You can get big sound from smallish speakers but you won't get that big
bottom end sound. Smaller speakers produce a better holographic effect,
usually, but lack bass.

Tubes are only muddy sounding if the circuit running them is a shit design.
In any realistically sounding way, tubes are superior. They have that magic
that makes you feel as though you're there. (In a properly setup system)

You want some good sounding small speakers? Try these:

http://www.vonschweikert.com/zvr1.htm

Good sound and inexpensive too! Buy these, place them correctly on good
stands, and enjoy! (Fill the stands with sand)

I used to have their VR4 Gen III HSE's and the sound was awesome! Had to
sell when I moved as I didn't have the original boxes to ship them in.

What are you listening to? (modern jazz, as in....?)

Jeff Zedic