I joined the list just in time to read you guys talking about the passing of
this wonderful guy, a sage it seemed. I've gained admiration of him. SO...
"Change the fuses...?" Here's what I discovered today (thx to Booth):

I bought an '84 300D from a guy on Craigslist early summer. With my schedule
I didn't have a chance to pick the car up until late September and just this
past week have gotten a chance to fool with it. It's a nice clean lil 230K
car.

When I bought the car the guy, who has no exprience with MB, or diesel was
apparently in a haste to part with it. I got it for a very cheap price (good
faith on phone) and didn't see it until I actually picked it up.

I did notice that the guy had bought sets of fog lamps and headlamps which
were NIB in the trunk. Long story short, he apparently had tried to repair
lights becoming frustrated that the fuses (which he finally located) checked
out on the meter and the bulbs weren't burned out. It was the same with some
other equipment. He decided to just sell the car at a loss and stick with
his little late model gas Toyotas and Fords.

Today with some time and a beautiful day I decided to "tinker" and heck,
"change the fuses" (even though I too got continuity on the meter.)

Guess what? In replacing all of the old fuses suddenly those items begin
acting as intended. The right low beam and fog lights, the sunroof, etc..
Heck, I've got two spare yellow fogs and a new headlight spare for the price
of a $0.20 fuse!

"Who would have thunk?" So a believer now to change the fuse... especially
that 80AMP GP relay before tearing into glow plugs. (Kinda like the uncle
who tore the carb apart on his garden tractor before realising it was out of
fuel.}

Happy camper!
Tim