All the "Old Timers" that I know and have learned from have a bias
towards Lincoln. They refuse to even try an auto-darkening helmet -
but all agree it is a good thing for us youngsters. They also say that
a single accidental flash without a mask in place can cause permanent
damage. One guy has been using the same mask for over 50 years.

Lincoln has a $200 spool gun. Make sure that is an option on whatever
model you get. It allows you to mig weld aluminum. I got a Miller and
regret it. The spool gun option costs more than I paid for the base
unit.

-Dave Walton