Several years ago, I bought a cheap Lincoln wire feed MiG with a kit
to use gas cover.  With it, I could do a serviceable weld in CLEAN
sheet metal.
I fixed the floors in my Met.  Very ugly as welds were badly
contaminated due to the floor having some type of rust preventative on
it  The big problem was that the duty cycle on the welder was about 20
seconds before it would go off on safety.
I fooled to DMV inspector who wouldn't pass the very neat  Pop Rivet
job the P/O had done.
I put the welder in a corner, anything I needed to weld for a few
years I did at work with our TIG.
2 years ago I wanted to build a BBQ out of a 55 gal drum and a bunch
of scrap angle iron.  HInt: Old bed frames are very good raw stock!
I trusted friend suggested that I loose the gas cover and use flux
filled wire.  His rationale:  My machine couldn't melt .035 wire, it
was too small capacity.
.035 flux filled wire has much less metal to melt.  I built my BBQ!
Welds needed multiple passes and had to be chipped in between.  They
have good penetration and are functional.
The BBQ has been used & abused for several year, we've never lost a
rack of ribs from poor welding!

--

Regards,

Peter T. Arnold

2007 HHR, 2.4L/Auto, LT2, 19Kmi, No problems!
1987 300SDL  286 KMI  Now lives with Dave Walton, Cleveland Ohio
1995 F-250 PowerChoke  199Kmi
1954 Metropolitan Convertible, Hanger Queen
Wife has a Cruizer, 87 Kmi, as reliable as an Ice Box, the car that
is!