78s were acoustical until around 1925 IIRC, and then switched over to
electrical.  The electrical 78 rpm recordings have excellent sound quality,
if you don't mind a little surface noise.  (the surface noise on 78s from
the late 30s is nearly inaudible);)  I have tons of wonderful old
performances that predate the advance to 33 rpm and hi fi, and they are
priceless in terms of the artistry and technical wizardry of the likes of
Rachmaninoff, Artur Schnabel, and Josef Hofmann.  Among the great pianists
of the era, the career of Vladimir Horowitz spanned all the audio
tecnhologies and fortunately he still played like a demon into his 60s and
the advent of stereophonic sound.