There are many different horn throat types. There's your typical exponential
horn, which is what you'd see in EV and then there's a tractix. The tractix
is more of a square throat as opposed to regular. Think of the difference
between a 4:3 tv for Tractix and a 16:9 for exponential. There are other
horn throat calculations but those are the two I'm most familiar with.
Different shapes have different sound characteristics.

A Klipschorn is a folded horn in the bass  module. The last section of the
bass horn throat is meant to be an eight foot section of uninterrupted wall
to get the full range. The mid horn section is exponential with the high end
tweeter placed above it. If the bass wasn't folded it would have to be a 32
foot horn!

I recently read an article about an Italian guy building his ultimate
subwoofers. Here's the link:

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm#THE%20REAL%20TOTAL%20HORN

And the wife thinks I'M mad about sound!!

Jeff Zedic