Rich Thomas wrote:
> Those things are spinning at maybe 20000rpm?  Say 3" diameter, that
> would be .75 ft circumference, that's only 250ft/sec, way subsonic
> (sonic speed is ~1050fps at ambient) esp at higher temps.  They might be
> chopping the exhaust into little pulses as it goes through the blades.

The T3 turbo on the 617 can go over 120kRPM (actually up to 150kRPM, but
you'd have to have tweaked with boost and engine settings).  I imagine
the GT37 turbo used on the Powerstrokes can achieve similar RPMs.  Which
would put the turbine tips at 1500ft/sec?  The temperatures would also
be in the neighborhood of 1400*F.

I guess what is more interesting is why we don't hear it on other
turbocharged vehicles?

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/TurboMaps/t3-45.gif

John