I will freely admit to being a sedate driver -- I refuse to be in much of a
hurry for anything anymore, it's too much hassle.

However, here is what I usually do to keep fuel consumption down:

light throttle until the 1-2 upshift, then add power.

Keep the rear tires as 36 psi, rides a bit harder, but you get better milage.

Rebuild the rear calipers if the brake pads don't wear -- they stick badly as
they really only get used when at full load.  I pull mine once in a while and
make sure the pads move freely, else the rust in place and drag.  They then
stick and drag.

Keep the front end properly aligned!  Check the front wheel bearings, too, a
bad one will drag quite a bit.

Accelerate gently, let some other idiot burn up fuel if he wants.   A 603 will
"wind out" a bit, just give it a bit of time.

I still only get 14 mpg in my 280 SE 4.5, no matter what I do....

Ft. Wayne actually looks better than it did -- a new Libraby, quite nice the in
the new style (too much wasted space for me, but it's the new way), a nice
Convention Center downtown, old Train Station fixed up and in use, lots of
traffic downtown.  Still no major new industry, but I think that's going to
change, the fad for outsourcing everything but the CEO's salary is just about
over.

Peter