Okay electronic gurus:
Guy at work has a little Peltier device refridgerator. It uses 12v and has a
little powersupply that says its rated for 5000ma. He's burnt out 2
powersupplies already, they only last a couple months.
I pulled the latest one apart and could find burn marks on 2 fairly large (say
1/8") resistors and a small (I think) capacitor.
The design is interesting, its rectangular, not a wall wart, its got a cord
from the wall to a box. The largest components are two heatsinks about 1/2"
wide and maybe 3 1/2" long. It gets very hot when working, almost too hot to
touch.

For the new one I suggested he take the old case and drill holes in it to let
the heat out. As a temporary fix he's using it with the top cover removed. The
two heatsinks get quite hot in operation.

So the question: Is it likely that the heat killed the old one or is it more
likely that the box is operating so close to its maximum output it just can't
take it.

-Curt