Hey, guys, has anyone noticed how long ago the McDonald's lawsuit took place?

  It was over and done with in August of 1994! McDonald's made whatever changes
they felt necessary in their coffee temps within no more than 12 months (at
that time, they updated their protocols and master handbooks twice a year). IF
they changed them at all -- they weren't legally obligated to do so.

  Does anyone remember what McDonald's coffee tasted like pre-1994 and
post-1995? Did you get a cup of coffee back around Thanksgiving of 1995 and
think, "What the heck? Why's my coffee cold??"

  It's business, and it's all about the money. McDonald's, like anyone else, in
in business to make money. If they can reduce costs without losing customers,
they'll do it -- that's their job, and what their shareholders expect of them.

  If you want a real milkshake, go to to an ice cream shop like Braum's or
Ashburn's -- the general fast food industry has been using mellorine (think DQ)
for decades.

  Go to the grocery store and price dairy products -- butter, cream, and milk
are FAR more expensive that margarine and non-dairy coffee creamer. Same deal
with real ice cream v. the fake stuff, until you get into the special diet
stuff, i.e. Atkins, Sount Beach, etc. Also, milk products have a limited shelf
life, which means you've got to throw it away if you don't use it all before
the due date. That non-dairy stuff has a longer life than a 617 diesel, so you
can buy 6 months supply at once!  That's a better deal -- less spoilage loss,
less base cost, and a discount for bulk purchase.

  Oh, and the french fries? No one "made" McDonald's give up the beef tallow.
(And yes, the fries were crisper and tastier fried in 93% tallow and 7%
cottonseed oil!) The reason they used the tallow mixture is that it had an
indefinite shelf life, and was, back in the day, much cheaper than any other
fat they could use for frying. However, when they began to expand into other
countries and run into Hindu objections regarding beef consumption (don't ask
me why a hamburger joint would try to market to Hindus -- that one's beyond
me!), along with the Surgeon General's long-standing warning about saturated
fat, they changed to vegetable oil. There are no trans fats in their fries --
trans fats are a product of hydrogenation (to make the oil solid at room temp),
and McDonald's uses liquid shortening in their fryers and has since they
stopped using tallow -- it's easier and faster, i.e. saves time and money.

  Does anyone remember how bottled Coke tasted 30 years ago? No?? It was
different -- cane sugar costs more to produce than corn syrup (which was, for
many years, just a waste by-product of corn processing), and Coca Cola saw the
cost benefits. They cut their costs, while leaving our cost the same and
steadily escalating it -- a better profit margin for their stockholders. You
can taste the original Coke in Mexico -- labor being cheaper there, and the
diet being far moe dependent on whole corn than ours, they still use cane sugar
in Coca Cola. There are a number of stores serving the Hispanic community in
the U.S. that import "real" Coke.

  And there's one plant in Dublin, Texas that still produces Dr Pepper with
cane sugar instead of corn syrup, and gets a premium price for it.

  Like I said, it's just business, and it's all about the money. Most
corporations are amoral -- they go where the profits lead them. Those of us on
this list enjoy the products of a corporation (Daimler Benz) that was able to
produce a quality product at a profit, and continues to support what it
produced. It's a niche market, and one I'm glad to be part of.

  We're also lucky to have access to folks like Rusty and others, who are NOT
corporations, and while they need to make a profit, they make it by providing
excellent products and great customer service. Don't look to an international
corporation for that kind of service!