From: Peter Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:51 pm
Subject: [MBZ] Today's OM 603 adventure

My brother's SDL has had a persistant vibration at idle for quite a
while.  We've replaced the belt tensioner and belt (big improvement,
since the belt got  oil soaked during a previous adventure involving
the chain tensioner), but it still thumps away.

I asked him if he'd checked the crank pulley, since when that comes
loose the harmonic balancer does too (it's held on by the six pulley
bolts) and I didn't want his wife to beat the font cover in.  He
checked, but said when he shoved on the balancer, it felt like it
moved, and the idle got better for a while.

So he decided that he needed a new balancer, and a new crankshaft front
seal since the old one was obviously leaking (oily balancer and
drenched alternator).  He got the parts from our friend the
semi-retired German Indy, and we tore it apart this afternoon.

First bit of fun was the lack of the ring gear locking tool, which Hans
doesn't have (none of his customers drives an SDL anymore).  The crank
flange bolt is torqued to 320 Nm, needless to say you aren't going to
get it loose without holding the crank somehow.

We improvised -- since he's got a new balancer anyway, and the rubber
on the old one is VERY soft (the source of his vibration, I'm fairly
certain), we just welded a piece of angle iron to it so that it hit the
floor after the old balancer was bolted back in place.  I figured the
very worst that would happen is that we'd tear the rubber off and have
to weld the angle iron to the remaining part.  Bolt came right out with
the help of a length of square tubing.

The flange came out easily with the help of a gear puller, and so did
the seal.  Big old slot worn in the seal surface, seal was rock hard
after 250,000 miles.  Oil everywhere, as you would expect.

Went to put the new seal in, and haha, wrong part.  Listed as correct
on the receipt, but it appears to be the one for an M117, not the 603!
No way it's gonna fit -- inside is correct, but the outer diameter is
15mm to large.

A search of all the local parts stores resulted in "we can get it for
you Monday afternoon" -- no one stocks that size, its' right between a
couple common ones (45mm inside, 67 mm outside, common sizes are 65 and
68 mm outside.....)

So the car is sitting partially dismanteled until we get the part on
Tuesday (the Benz remplacement seal is offset a couple mm back to sit
on a fresh part of the flange seal surface.

It's always something.  This does give us a chance to get the radiator
cleaned, though.  Packed full of crap and oil, I'm surprised it didnt'
overheat!

Peter