The timken test is just one of many tests that an oil can be subjected
to, the oils they where testing where engine oils and not ATF.
My understanding of the timken test is that it tells you how tough an
oil is, or in other words it's like hitting oil with a sledge hammer and
seeing when it breaks. This is good to know because when the mixture
ignites the oil gets a hammering.
While I am not saying M1 is rubbish, I do think in my situation I would
be better off with semi-synthetic. The temperatures do not get that cold
and I don't rev the guts out of my engines.