y'know, wonk, you've got me thinking that linux is a practical solution for
MANY computer users.  i know i have beaten this to death, but it seems that
the vast majority of pc users cannot manage windoze.  i know people who even
know a lot about windoze who end up having to reformat hard drives and start
over every few years.

most people who are on the internet are not sophisticated users.  basically,
they are using a web browser and an email client.  maybe some light word
processing.  if they run xp they get adware/malware to death, virused into
non functionality.  so they always have "computer problems" when the only
problem they really have is running windoze.

on linux, they'd be able to do all they do anyway without developing all
these problems.  it is hte solution for the masses, but no one is making
this clear to them.