We have a "PetSafe" wireless system which we bought at one of the big-
box pet superstores.  I think Home Depot also carries them, of course
they are available on-line as well.

It works really well.  Our property is larger than the range of the
signal, but that's OK -- the dog still has plenty of room to run
around.  It costs a bit more than the hard-wired version, but in my
view once you buy the extra wire you need (what they include will
likely not come close) and go through the trouble of burying it, the
wireless is worth it.  It's also portable, so for example if you go
camping you could set up a perimeter for the dog as long as you had
120 AC at the campsite (or a generator or inverter or something).

The collar batteries are a racket -- they are a button-type battery,
but moulded into a plastic carrier so you can't buy a generic battery
replacement you have to buy their branded batteries which are about
$12 for two.  They last a few months each, depending on how often the
dog "tests" the perimeter.

Allan