Harry Watkins wrote:

> The dog won because she loved my wife enough to suffer the pain and go to
> her.

I think JimC is right, the dog has to think it will die if it crosses the
line. Then the fence works great. It probably helps if you start them on
it as soon as they are large enough to carry the shock collar.

I've watched cattle and horses (especially bulls) test electric fences,
a couple of our bulls would even put their wet noses on the top wire with
a high amperage weed burner fence charger. If the fence shorts out, they
will knock it down within a day. I can't remember if they still did that
after we got rid of the firestarter fencer and put in a high voltage /
short duration unit. I do remember it's a pain when the neighbors call
you at 6am because you've got 20 head of Angus mowing their front yard
for them.

Mitch.