Due to the series of upsets and minor disasters in and amongst my
families Benz fleet, I've been forced to drive the 280 SE again this
week.

It was running so badly today that I was almost ready to return home
and use the TE (with no heater blower) instead, but managed to limp
it to work and back with no particular incidents.

I'd noticed some hissing like a bad vacuum line, so I popped the hood
and started searching, thinking that the plastic line for the vacuum
retard had died of old age, although I wasn't sure that would do much
besides up the idle, it's a fairly small leak.  Second thought was
the big "y" shaped idle air hose, which really needs to be replaced,
it rock hard.

Located the leak with some brake parts cleaner -- second to last
injector on the right side!.  Sucking air like crazy.  So I pulled
the set, and discovered that the lower seal is flat gone, MIA, not
there.  Nada, no wonder it was acting strange!

Now, I don't have a spare, so I thought for a bit and noticed that I
had a chunk of gas line lying about from replacing all the hoses (and
probably wrecking that seal) last winter when the 300D was up on
blocks being disassembled.  Sure enough, it fits!  Probably not
perfect,  but at least it runs on all 8 cylinders now, and no more
surging, bucking, or racing.  May not remember how to drive it now.

Just goes to show, that  D-Jet goes crazy if you have a significant
vac leak!   Hopefully I can now get the mixture set somewhere near
correct and get more than 12 mpg.

Peter