[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Peter, and all,
>
> I have run out of fuel in my diesels several times over the last 35 years,
> both on purpose, and not!? If you cut the engine at the very first stumble,
> it will restart quite easily, no priming pump needed,

When I changed the main fuel filter on the W116.120 (with leaky primer pump),
I did it with the engine warm. I do not pour unfiltered fuel into the center
of a filter before installing it, not ever. IPs are too expensive to fix.
The car started right up, and started to stumble. I used the throttle to
hold it at 2000-2500 rpm until it ran smoothly. As you say, not a problem
unless you totally lose your prime.

Mitch.