From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Mitch Haley
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:18 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Running on empty/BTDT!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Peter, and all,
>
> I have run out of fuel in my diesels several times over the last 35 years,
both on purpose, and not!? If you cut the engine at the very first stumble,
it will restart quite easily, no priming pump needed,

When I changed the main fuel filter on the W116.120 (with leaky primer
pump),
I did it with the engine warm. I do not pour unfiltered fuel into the center
of a filter before installing it, not ever. IPs are too expensive to fix.
The car started right up, and started to stumble. I used the throttle to
hold it at 2000-2500 rpm until it ran smoothly. As you say, not a problem
unless you totally lose your prime.

Mitch.

10:24 AM